Tuesday, December 7, 2010

An Idea...

Brendan and I thought of a really great idea (the credit goes to Brendan mostly!). As I am getting more and more work with bookkeeping and teaching families ASL, I noticed that my jobs involves a lot of sitting. After working I would have the urge to do stuff that didn't involve sitting.

A light bulb went off! How about if I started my own cleaning service? I asked Brendan what he thought... he said if that is what you want BUT what about an ORGANIZING business! I was like, "HEY! That's an even better one!"


For those of you who don't know me, I LOVE organizing. I remember organizing my Mom's basement for TWO days and I loved every minute of it. Weird I know but I just LOVE organizing. I am sure there are SO MANY garages, basements, rooms, etc that needs to be organized and people would want others to DO IT and not themselves!
I got really excited and started blabbing to Brendan about all the details such as how the business would work. Brendan suggested that I charge by quote since I would need to charge by my labor, supplies (labels, bins, shelves, etc), hiring carpenter if needed, etc. Advertising is another. You need a lot of advertising to get started. Brendan is taking a few weeks workshop on how to start a business in January for himself and that would benefit mine if I do decide to start it.
I'm really excited about the possibility. Of course, it's still in the air. Anything could happen in few months. I want to be completely finished with my schooling which is in April or May. That would give me few months to brainstorm and get prepared. AND, it would depend on my other jobs - if I get more work in teaching and/or bookkeeping I would have to keep that in mind.
Something to think about huh! I'm welcome to ideas/suggestions!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's a great idea! A professional organizer! You should carry your business cards as a professional organizer with your names and email address/phone number then give the cards away to people who might be interested in hiring you their professional organzier :D
I read an article of a lady who started her own organizing business. She used her husband an advantage of attending to his social parties that had few good businessmen and parents as well. They were impressed with her eagerness and exicitment to clean up their messes so they hired her. Her business got very successful so she had to hire a maid to clean up her home once a while. Lol!
Good luck with developing a business! Have fun :D
Hugs with xoxos, N

Heidi said...

wicked idea, you would enjoy it so much that it wouldn't seem like a job.