Thursday, June 24, 2010

Breath Holding Spells

Last night was the most frightening experience I have witnessed. Some of you may not know what happened but I'll try my best to explain.

Lincoln was crawling and standing by the couch and Dorena saw him crying and he flopped onto his butt and then fell on his head. Dorena picked him up and he started to cry hard and then his face went blue. Lincoln wouldn't respond or breath for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Meanwhile, we were totally freaking out. We both were trying to flip him over and bang his back to get whatever we thought he may have choked on but he was still not responding. We tossed the boys in the car and rushed to the hospital. Meanwhile, Lincoln was starting to breath more normally but he was groggy and very quiet. Within an hour we were able to find out that his throat, lungs and chest were all CLEAR with xray. It was a HUGE relief. I didn't really understand why he would have the symptoms.

So, I did some thinking and realized that he had the same symptoms (less extreme than last night) as when he fell off the bed a couple of weeks ago. He cried and then went blue and didn't respond for a few seconds and then was fine.

I googled and researched online and found that Lincoln may have Breath Holding Spells. Breath Holding Spells can occur in kids between the age of 6 months and 6 years old. Uusually a kid would "start" getting it between 6 months old and 18 months old then it would last until maybe around 6 years old. The symptoms were VERY similar to what Lincoln had. Crying, not being able to breath, turning blue, losing consicious, becoming groggy and then back to normal shortly after that. There are no real cure for it. It just come and passes.

It was kind of a relief to know what he could have but scary at the same time because I don't like going through those experiences. It's so hard on parents seeing their own kid not responding. Connor can be a bit of a bully (mostly just out of jealously or not on purpose) and that makes me nervous because I don't want Lincoln to go through Breath Holding Spells a lot. Right now, I'm very cautious and constantly keeping an eye. I know it's so hard to keep a constant eye on the boys... it's life I know.. but still!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Breath Holding Spells???!!! Wow I don't know what to say about it...that's unheard of. It is interesting that Linc is able to stop breathing even he doesn't realize for few seconds :S I hope there are some treatments or solutions to teach him to breath throught difficult times. Sounds like he was under stress and has some breath holding spells. I am praying for him to discontinue the spells. Amen! :)
I love him very much as much as his big brother Connor! Angels keep them safe. Amen!
Love you xoxo and you are a great mother! :D
Goodnight,
Nani

Jojo said...

Thank you Nani. I appreciate your words. Love you!

Anonymous said...

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec23/ch269/ch269g.html
I found this website and it was interesting! There are two kind of spells...maybe you should read this article to keep in mind for future in case if Linc is doing the spell or accidently has it. It could be a medical condition. Make sure you let your family doctor about the breath holding spells and let her or him know it could be nothing or serious.
Let me know if the website is making any sense???
Love you xoxo,
N

Jojo said...

Thank you for the website Nani. I have read that there are a few different kind of spells that Lincoln could have. I am definitely going to mention this to the doctor. I'm trying to keep an eye on LIncoln and prevent him from the situation again.

Anonymous said...

How scary for you! You should talk to gramma when you come I think uncle Mike used to do that to. give him big hugs from sheshe. and a big hug for you and connor. love you guys very much. auntie sheshe